March 23, 3030
Dear Families and Leaders,
We have just learned that CISV USA’s board of directors has canceled sending all US delegations and individual delegates to programs this summer, and canceled all programs being hosted by US chapters including the Step Up we were planning for Pittsburgh due to the coronavirus pandemic. Please read the letter from the board for their explanation.
While we are sorry to have this outcome, we believe it is the right decision to make at this time. We are very honored that you entrusted your children with us and hope you understand the decision that was made. If you have mailed in your first installment of your fee, we will not cash your check and be in touch with you.
We hope that you continue to participate in CISV in our local programs, events and service projects when this crisis is over, and look forward to next summer’s programs. For our leaders, please consider CISV in your summer plans next year and stay in touch.
Please stay healthy and safe!
Kathy Knauer and Chuck Murphy, Co-Presidents
March 14, 2020
We’d like to update you on what has been happening with CISV during this unprecedented time. CISV International, as well as CISV USA and our local chapter are monitoring the situation, and have some updates for upcoming programs and events.
CISV International has canceled all April international programs. This has impacted our Individual Youth Meeting in Germany, which one of our members was to attend.
This decision does not impact the June-August program season, as it is too early to tell what the global situation would be by that time. The International Governing Board, senior management team and CISV risk management community are closely monitoring the situation and will keep us posted.
For leaders and JCs, CISV USA has canceled all national training weekends in March. They have not canceled training in April. They are working on solutions to training for those who were signed up for the March sessions. The national board is meeting next week and will have more updates.
Locally, Regional Mini-Camp, scheduled for March 27-29 in Philadelphia has been canceled. I sent an email Friday with a link to request a refund to those who signed up. Our board meeting on Thursday, March 19 will be done via video conferencing. We will let you know about our April 5th chapter meeting.
We understand this is a very difficult and stressful time for all of us. At this time, we are planning for our summer programs, including hosting Step Up in Pittsburgh. We encourage you to reach out to your leaders and other delegates’ families to arrange video chats to get to know each other instead of in-person meetings.
We will let you know of any developments from CISV International and CISV USA. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Kathy Knauer and Chuck Murphy, Co-Presidents
February 29, 2020
The CISV Board of Directors has been in discussion with the CISV USA executive director and Risk Manager, and have received information from CISV International’s Risk Manager regarding how the organization will handle the Coronavirus risk for our traveling delegations.
A letter has been sent to all delegations and leaders outlining CISV International’s update and recommendations for making travel arrangements for programs.
February 29, 2020:
We, the CISV Pittsburgh Board of Directors has full trust in CISV International to make the right decisions around programs that are scheduled in areas of concern. Decisions to cancel programs will be made by the local hosting chapter of each program, in concert with the CISV International Risk Management team. With 70 years of experience, CISV has navigated situations like these in the past (such as H1N1 flu in 2009).
We feel there is a lot of time for decisions to be made. Until we hear otherwise, we will move forward with preparations for our traveling delegations and for hosting our Step Up program this summer.
Please know that should your child’s program be canceled, your fees will be refunded and CISV’s travel insurance will cover travel costs. Additionally, as an added precaution, we recommend that delegations not book flights until mid to late April, when we will have a better sense of the situation. We will provide updates to delegations by then. We ask that you do not book your travel before communication with the chapter.
We will be sending updates as we get them from CISV International. Please note that the U.S. State Department travel advisories change quickly. CISV International does not base decisions on these advisories. Delegations have gone to programs successfully to countries with Level 2 advisories, such as to Santiago, Chile for a Youth Meeting in January.
Please rest assured that your children’s safety is our top priority, and we will continue to update you as the situation unfolds. We appreciate your family’s continued support of CISV Pittsburgh, and we look forward to a happy, healthy program season! Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.
CISV Pittsburgh Board of Directors